Sunday, December 9, 2012

Baby Boy Was Born!

Daddy had a race today- the Natural Bridge Caverns Duathlon.
He got 1st in his age group! 
Mommy held Lucy a lot that morning. And walked around a lot. 
And you had already been feeling lower to me. 
In this picture the bottom of my belly is sticking our form under my shirt (oops!)
I guess that was you saying "hey I'll see you guys soon!"
 Contractions started suddenly that afternoon. And they weren't far apart. About 2 minutes apart. I hadn't experienced it this suddenly with Lucy and was totally shocked! When we got to the hospital the nurse said you were on your way - so they called my Doctor and you were delivered via cesarian just over an hour later, at 7:15pm December 9, 2012,
Welcome to the world Charles Blake! 
It all happened so quick! I knew you were going to be a c-section baby because your sister had been one and she was only 15 months old. They recommend not doing a VBAC within 18 months of a c-section. I started having contractions and two hours later, I was in recovery. It was super quick. And there were no problems. You came out screaming and breathing fine. I got to see your perfect little face then I went into recovery.

 This was in the delivery room - they said you were fine there. A healthy 6 lb 1 oz baby boy who just decided to make his appearance a few weeks early. 
 So they took you to the nursery & Daddy got to see you through the glass & so did your sister & Annie and Papa, briefly. Then they thought you needed closer monitoring so they moved you to the NICU. 
 Look at you all stretched out and happy! You have no idea what is about to happen. 
 When I got out of recovery and into my room, they told me that they had taken you to the NICU. 
I was devastated. I was laid out, just had a c-section. They told me I couldn't see you until I could walk a lap around the delivery floor to show I was strong enough to be approved to leave my room (they couldn't roll my giant bed over there) so I had the nurse and Blake help me to stand up and unhook me from my monitors. I was fine, and I'd be damned if I was going to let anything keep me from seeing you!!! So I walked my lap around the delivery floor and they gave us a wheelchair and your Daddy wheeled me to the other area of the hospital where they have the NICU. It felt wrong on so many levels that I didn't get to hold you until you were covered in tubes and cords. It completely broke my heart to see you like that.
 I love you, Charlie. Mommy & Daddy both love you so much! 
 Needless to say, it was rather hard to get you to latch, but you did! Even with the dang feeding tube…
But since it was easier for you, I began pumping and fed you with a bottle.  Which also made me a cow when it came to milk production. I filled up our home freezer. And our section of the freezer at the NICU. They told me not to bring in any more milk your last few days there.
I was just doing the only things I could do for you: hold you & feed you.

 My precious, tough little man! 
 Daddy & Charlie
Daddy is one tough man, he was so strong for you and for mommy through your whole stay at the NICU. He was encouraging even though he didn't know when we would be able to be home as a family. He stayed calm, at least externally! He did determine that you would be a charlie fox for your first halloween, but that is for another post :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment